THANK YOU TO ALL OF THOSE WHO FILLED OUT THE APPLICATION!
Women in Business takes pride in their members and their accomplishments. Over the years, Women in Business has gained a positive reputation throughout the University of Iowa, the surrounding community, and its professional network. To ensure our members are willing to grow and strengthen our positive impact, we will be implementing a membership application for the 2017-2018 school year. The application is not meant to turn anyone away, but rather used as a tool to collect important information, as well as for statistical purposes. For members to attend bi-weekly meetings and participate in WIB activities, she/he must complete a membership application and attend one membership meeting, if they were not a member the previous semester (Spring 2017). Once admitted into the organization, the member must fulfill the point requirements to gain full membership.
- Made membership in Spring 2017: Will need to fill out the whole application.
- Have not been in WIB: Will need to fill out whole application, and attend a membership meeting on Sunday, September 3rd (details in application).
- Was in WIB previously, but not in Spring 2017: Will need to fill out the whole application, and attend a membership meeting on Sunday, September 3rd (details in application).
- 2nd semester probation: Please contact the President, email@example.com.
The application is due no later than Sunday, September 3rd by 11:59 PM. You will be notified of your acceptance on Monday, September 4th, sometime later in the afternoon. For any questions or concerns, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
From Backpacks to Briefcases…
WIB MISSION STATEMENT
Encouraging professional development by promoting leadership, fostering relationships and inspiring young women to reach their full potential.
- Professional Development
- Community Service
Members of Women in Business strive to answer the question, “What can we do to empower women to improve their lives and inspire them to improve the lives of others?” Throughout its history, WIB has worked toward this mission by providing women at The University of Iowa with significant leadership opportunities, community involvement, and professional development. This organization is dedicated to empowering, inspiring, and improving the lives of others and to expand each individual’s leadership potential.
WIB was founded in 1998 by an undergraduate student, Jennifer Cropper. Having previously spent several years serving in the U.S. Military, Cropper enrolled at The University of Iowa to complete an accounting degree. During that time she voiced the concern that women (undergraduate, graduate, and faculty) in the College of Business faced a complex set of challenges, different from those of their male counterparts.
Through her efforts, the WIB student organization was formed, with Jennifer serving as its first president. Unlike the National Association of Women MBA’s (formerly Graduate Women in Business), there is no national Women in Business organization. The concept, its implication, and its success are all attributable to the innovation and dedication of Iowa students.
During its first year of inception, WIB officers laid the foundation for an active, vital student group that could make a meaningful difference in the lives of its members and women in the local business community.
- WIB began a mentoring program, the first of its kind in the Henry B. Tippie College of Business, in which student members were connected with established business women in the local community.
- WIB established a scholarship program dedicated to recognizing and rewarding members with records of exemplary academic performance and leadership.
- In addition, WIB has highly encouraged the professional development of its members that include opportunitites to hear from dozens of speakers from the corporate and academic worlds, resume and interview preparation workshops, and professional trips.
- This organization also works to serve the needs of the broader community by being involved in Tippie Build, Dance Marathon, Relay for Life, and Ronald Mcdonald house