What is a Virtual Internship?
Call it what you will: Remote Internship, Virtual Internship, Online Internship, Tele-working, Telecommuting, it all means the same thing: you will be completing your international internship…directly from your own laptop!
Remote internships mean that you can work with companies across the globe to support a wide range of projects, from basic social media support to full business projects, website designs, market reports, financial assessments, usability testing code, and much much more.
Why do a virtual internship?
- An internship looks great on your resume, especially with an international organization.
- You can still work or take classes while completing an internship.
- The cost of a virtual internship is almost a quarter of the cost of an on-site internship.
- In-person internships both overseas and here in the US have been closed in most locations.
- You can gain a 3, 4 or 6 credit internship credit that appears on your UI transcript.
- You will gain valuable experiences working with an international company organization that you can talk about.
The University of Iowa has several partners for summer virtual global internships located around the world! All of which are offered at a fraction of the cost of an on-site internship while still being open for scholarships and giving you the credit you need to fulfill experiential learning requirements.
Remote internships mean that you can work with companies across the globe to support projects in almost any major. Example range from social media support in London, website designs in Italy, working with NGO/nonprofits in Australia, exploring the environment, development and sustainability in India, finance or social entrepreneurship projects in Malaysia, to visual arts in Costa Rica, and much more.
When completing a remote internship many of the same aspects of a traditional in-person internship still exist, including meetings with your supervisor or teammates, completing a mix of individual and group projects, and learning about the overall company or organization and the culture it works in.
Internships through our providers also mean you will have an in-depth exploration of your host country’s work culture, gain career coaching and develop a cohort of other students all working ‘in’ your same location.
If you would like more information on virtual global internship options for the summer, contact:
Monica Ernberger, (she/her/hers)
Senior Coordinator Global Internships/Study Abroad, International Programs
1111 University Capitol Centre, Iowa City 52242