Here is a summary of the most common course deadlines. There are even more deadlines listed on the Office of the Registrar’s website
Adding and Dropping the First Week of Classes
You may add and drop courses the first five days of the semester via MyUI. This option ends at 11:59 p.m. on Monday, January 27.
Adding and Dropping the Second Week and On
- Adding courses (Paper Form Needed)
Starting Tuesday, January 28, you will have to use a paper Change of Registration Form to add courses or change sections.
• You will an instructor’s signature to add or change sections.
• You’ll also need an advisor’s signature if you are a prebusiness student or if you are a student admitted to the Tippie College in your first year of enrollment at the University.
• You do not need an advisor’s signature to change sections of the same class.
The last day to add semester-length courses is Monday, February 3.
- Dropping Courses (MyUI or Paper Form)
• Starting the second week of the semester, you may continue to drop courses using MyUI. You will be prompted about the permissions you’ll need to drop. Student-Athletes and International students require additional permissions.
• Instructor’s permissions are NOT required for dropping courses.
• If you are a prebusiness student or if you are a student admitted to the Tippie College in your first year of enrollment at the University, you will be required to meet with your advisor to receive permission to drop a course.
• Tippie students in their second year and above do not need an advisor’s permission to drop.
The last day to drop semester length courses without a W is Monday, February 3. Starting February 4 you will have a “W” on your transcript when you drop a semester length course.
The last day to drop semester-length courses is Monday, April 6.
To look up deadlines for your courses especially those that are off-cycle (not the full semester) : https://registrar.uiowa.edu/course-deadlines