2021 tax returns prepared in 2022

VITA volunteers at our sites provide free tax help to taxpayers earning less than $57,000 a year (married taxpayers filing a joint return must have joint income less than $57,000 a year).

Our volunteers are trained to help you with your tax return. However, there may be complex issues for which we need to refer you to a paid preparer. We cannot prepare your return if:

  • You were self-employed (your income is reported to you on a form 1099) and have business expenses exceeding $10,000
  • You had bitcoin or other virtual currency transactions in 2021
  • You rented your home or other dwelling for more than 14 days.
  • You have farm income from a working farm.
  • You received a lump sum distribution of your entire amount from your pension plan
  • You were a resident alien part of the year and a non-resident alien the other part of the year
  • You are a US citizen or resident alien with foreign earned income
  • You do not have a photo ID