If you choose our Hybrid VITA process, we will mail the forms you need to complete. These forms include:
- Taxpayer envelope
- Instructions (a printed and less detailed version of these instructions)
- PreIntake Form (printed on blue paper)
- Intake/Interview form (printed on yellow paper)
- Additional Dependent/Stimulus information form (printed on white paper)
- Education / Iowa form (printed on tan paper)
- Disclaimer form (printed on salmon paper)
- Virtual VITA/TCE Taxpayer Consent (IRS Form 14446, printed on white paper and stapled)
- Taxpayer Checklist (printed on pink paper)
Step 1. Complete the forms we send you to the best of your ability.
- Two of the forms need to be signed. Don’t forget to sign:
- Disclaimer form (on salmon color paper)
- Virtual VITA/TCE Taxpayer Consent form (IRS Form 14446).
We can’t use the Hybrid method unless you sign the forms.
Step 2. Gather the tax documents you have received from your employer, bank, etc. These forms may include:
- W-2 forms
- 1099 forms
- 1098 forms
- If you drove for Uber, Lyft, or a similar service: The year end statement of income, fees, and miles driven that the service provided to you
- Any other document labeled “Important tax information”
Step 3. If you have income or expenses for which you did not receive a tax document (for example, bank interest or independent contractor income or expenses), write the description and amount on the back of the pink Taxpayer Checklist.
Step 4. Print your name on the taxpayer envelope.
Step 5. Place your completed forms in the Taxpayer Envelope. A list of these forms is in the pink Taxpayer Checklist that you received from us with your forms.
Step 6. Place your tax documents (W-2, etc) in the Taxpayer Envelope. Do not give us your only copy.
- For each tax document, determine whether there are multiple copies. For instance, employers normally give you several copies of your W-2 form (the copies are labeled A, B, C, 1, 2).
- If you have multiple copies, place one copy in your taxpayer envelope.
- Check W-2 forms carefully: Some W-2 form copies do not include state tax withholding information. Be sure you give us a copy that does include state tax information at the bottom of the form. Generally, Copy 1 of the W-2 will work.
- If you do not have multiple copies, make a copy and place that copy in your taxpayer envelope. If you do not have access to a copier, you will be able to make copies at our drop-off sites.
- Include a copy of tax returns that you filed during 2020 if our VITA program did not prepare and file them for you.
Step 7. Complete the Taxpayer Checklist (pink form) to be sure you have included everything needed. Place the checklist in the Taxpayer Envelope.
Step 8. Drop off your Taxpayer Envelope at one of our drop-off locations.
- View locations and times for drop-off
- Bring the following items with you to the drop-off site:
- Your Taxpayer Envelope with all forms and documents already in it
- Your photo ID (and your spouse’s photo ID if you are filing jointly)
- Social security cards for everyone on your return
REMEMBER: You must wear a mask covering your nose and mouth at the drop-off site
If you don’t have a mask, we will provide one.
Questions? Contact us by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (319-335-0857).
To sign up to use VITA with the Hybrid method, complete the form at the following link: https://bit.ly/UI_VITA_Enroll