Skip to main content
Explore, Prepare, Experience, and Achieve with the
Make it Happen Checklist!
There are more resources and tools to explore at careers.uiowa.edu.
- Write or update your resume and have it reviewed during walk-in advising.
- When needed, prepare cover letters or other required documents. These can also be reviewed during walk-in advising.
- When ready, upload your resume into the Handshake site so you can begin applying for student employment or internship positions.
- Create or update your LinkedIn profile and clean up all social media accounts.
- Learn to network and prepare your introduction to new contacts and potential employers.
- Prepare and practice for interviews by using Big Interview. Schedule a mock interview before the real deal.
- If interested in graduate or professional school, review resources to help you research programs and manage applications.
- Schedule an appointment with a career advisor for additional assistance and resources.
- Use Handshake and Career Fairs to begin your job search. Start 6-9 months before you graduate to maximize success.
- Use additional job and internship links using Job Search section of our website. More links are provided within your desired career community page.
- Research employers using: Research Basics, specific Career Community resources and Resources for Diverse populations within Job Search section of our website.
- Evaluate job offers and learn more about negotiation before accepting an offer.
- Apply to graduate or professional school if that is your desired next step. Consider Gap Year Opportunities if you need more time or experience before applying.
- Schedule an appointment with a career advisor for additional resources and help with your job search strategy, timeline and resources.