We’re always looking for new ways to get a sense of our applicants’ personalities. Getting to the “real” MBA candidate under the application is challenging, so we’re trying something new – using a tool most business professionals are already familiar with: a slide deck, aka PowerPoint presentation.
The premise is simple. We pose a question, and our applicants respond with a slide deck instead of a traditional essay.
We’re testing this new format until July 14 for candidates wishing to begin their MBA in the Tippie Full-time MBA program this fall, with a full-tuition financial award package valued at over $38,000 going to the admitted candidate who crafts the most creative response.
At the same time, we’ll post the slide deck entries on SlideShare, where anyone can weigh in and ‘Like’ their favorites. The slide deck with the most likes will earn its creator a $5,000 scholarship.
If you’ve been considering a Full-time MBA, there’s no time like the present. Take the first step now — see the “How to Get Started” section below. We look forward to seeing many creative submissions!
The Question and Guidelines
In lieu of the essay questions on our application, respond in the form of a PowerPoint slide deck to the following question:
The winner of the Tippie MBA Slideshare Scholarship Competition will receive a full-tuition financial award package. Tell us: why should we invest in you?
How to Enter
In place of the two admissions essays, submit your response to the above question and submit your application (and all accompanying materials) before the deadline. A judging panel will convene after July 15, 2013 to judge all entries. The judging panel will select one entrant to be awarded a full-tuition award package.
On July 17, 2013, all submissions will be uploaded to the Tippie MBA’s SlideShare channel at www.SlideShare.net/TippieMBA. We invite all entrants to share the link to their slide deck and encourage their friends to ‘Like’ their submission. In addition, we will be asking alumni, current students, and friends of the Tippie MBA program to ‘Like’ their favorites as well.1
After one week, the creator of the deck with the most ‘Likes’ on Slideshare will be awarded a $5,000 scholarship.
|Submit online application||Sunday, July 14, 2013 – 11:59pm Central|
|Submit application materials|
|Submit slide deck|
|Public online voting begins for $5,000 scholarship (www.SlideShare.net/TippieMBA)||Wednesday, July 17, 2013 – 12:00pm Central|
|Judging panel convenes to select full-tuition winner||Tuesday, July 16, 2013|
|Public online voting ends||Wednesday, July 24, 2013 – 12:00pm Central|
|Winners announced||Monday, July 29, 2013|
- Request your application fee waiver.
- Fill out our online application
- Skip the essays – in place of them, enter “Waived for Slideshare Competition”
- Gather and submit your application materials (see ‘How to Submit Your Materials’ for details)
- GMAT or GRE score report
- Create and upload your slide deck (see ‘How to Submit Your Materials’ for details)
- Resume: Upload your resume here.
- Academic Transcripts. If submitting unofficial transcripts, upload them here. Please request official transcripts at this time. For information on sending official transcripts to us, visit our Transcripts page.
- GMAT or GRE Score Reports: If submitting unofficial score reports, email them to firstname.lastname@example.org (PDF recommended). For information on sending official test score reports, visit our Test Scores page.
- Slide Deck: Upload your slide deck here. Supported formats: pdf, ppt, pps, pptx, ppsx, pot, potx (Powerpoint); odp (OpenOffice), key (Keynote)
Contact Tippie MBA Admissions with any questions. We’re happy to help!
Prize Details and Judging Criteria
The full-tuition award package is valued at over $38,000 and is detailed on our website, and consists of a graduate assistantship and scholarship. Its total cash value is equivalent to annual resident tuition, and is renewable for the second year of the program. Graduate assistantships provide resident tuition status for non-residents. The $5,000 scholarship (second prize) recipient will receive $5,000 annually; the scholarship funds will be applied directly to the recipient’s university bill each semester. The full-tuition award package winner will also be eligible to win the $5,000 scholarship.
The judging panel for the full-tuition award will consist of staff, faculty, and students from the Tippie School of Management. Details of the entrant’s application (test scores, resume, etc.) will not be shared with the panel.
By entering the competition, applicants authorize the Tippie MBA to publicize their slide deck (including but not limited to Tippie’s SlideShare channel). Applicants that would like to be considered for the full-tuition package but do not wish to make their slide decks public can decline to enter the public voting portion of the competition. Applicants must notify Tippie MBA Admissions of their request to be excluded from consideration for the $5,000 scholarship prior to Monday, July 15, 2013.
You may elect to participate in the public voting portion of the competition with your name remaining private. In this case, we will remove your name from the slide deck before it is uploaded to SlideShare. Notify Tippie MBA Admissions of your request to remove your name from the deck prior to Monday, July 15, 2013.
Entries will be assessed on the basis of content, clarity, and uniqueness/creativity. While you’re not limited in the number of slides you make, remember that just like in business communications, more is not necessarily better. We have seen great responses to a question that are just 5 slides; other great responses have been 25 slides. You can browse the popular decks on SlideShare to get some ideas if you like.
Terms and Conditions
- To be eligible for either financial award, your online application must be submitted before 11:59pm on Sunday, July 14, 2013 and we must have received all of your application documents prior to that time. Application documents include your slide deck, resume, academic transcripts2, and GMAT or GRE score reports3. See Submitting Your Application Materials.
- Individuals who have applied to the Tippie MBA prior to the announcement of this competition are not eligible to enter.
- One applicant can win both the first and second prize, if they amass both the highest number of SlideShare ‘likes’ and are selected as the top entrant by the judging panel.
- The financial awards are valid only for candidates who begin their studies in the Tippie Full-time MBA program in August 2013.
Questions and Inquiries
- Lydia Fine, Associate Director, Recruiting & Admissions – email@example.com | 319-335-1025
- Jodi Schafer, Director of Admissions and Financial Aid – firstname.lastname@example.org | 319-335-0864
2Unofficial transcripts can be used for the purposes of this competition, though official transcripts must be submitted to finalize your admission.
3Unofficial test score reports (for example, a scan of your test-taker report) can be used for the purposes of evaluation, but an official score report issued by Pearson/ETS is required before admission can be finalized.