On Wednesday, the University of Iowa John Pappajohn Entrepreneurial Center held a panel discussion entitled “The Power of a Game Plan.” The panelists were Steve Forbes, Chairman and Editor-in-Chief of Forbes Media, and John Schlifske, Chairman and CEO of Northwestern Mutual. Senior Vice President of Forbes Media Mike Woods moderated the panel.
The panel provided many pieces of advice to the 800 students and faculty in the audience. Those that were particularly useful included:
• People don’t appreciate all of the effort that goes into things… especially for entrepreneurs
• Study things outside your major
• Build a brand around your thinking
• Being in investments is like being a pro golfer; leading people is like being the head football coach
• To be a leader, you have to go outside of your comfort zone
• There is often no playbook
• Commit to a routine of savings
• Investing is just a tactic
• Emotions are your enemy in investing; creating discipline takes the emotions out of it
• You can’t peak at 25; you must continue to reinvent yourself
This event was a great opportunity for students to think about their own game plan and heed advice from two businessmen who have worked their way up through their companies. Looking forward to many more opportunities like this throughout the school year!
Photos from the event are available here.