Course: Marketing Management
Place of origin: I was born in Lisbon, Portugal. When I was five, we came back to the US. I grew up in Massachusetts.
Home University: I am a professor of Marketing at the University of Iowa.
Academic Teaching Area: Marketing Management
Interesting fact about yourself: I have learned Portuguese three times in my life. Each time I become fluent, but then forget the language. The last time I learned it (I was doing a Fulbright in Portugal), my teacher said she never had a student who learned Portuguese so quickly. What did I learn from this? Never say never!
What are you teaching/have you taught at CIMBA: Marketing Management (2010, 2012) International Marketing (2011)
How many years have you taught for CIMBA: This will be the third time.
The CIMBA Experience: This is a unique MBA program that emphasizes personal growth and leadership.
In your opinion, what sets CIMBA apart from traditional MBA programs: One unique thing about the program is that students are thrown into a new environment, without the usual distractions of daily life. CIMBA is unique because it provides high quality academic instruction and because it also offer high quality individual coaching and leadership development.
Favorite thing to do while in Italy: Coffee and pastry at the Caffe Centrale
- PhD, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1983
- MBA, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1976
- BA in Economics/Psychology, Beloit College, 1971
- Effects of couponing on purchase and repeat purchase rates
- Elderly adults’ use of consumer information
- Measurements and effects of knowledge and experience on consumer behavior
- International Programs Strategic Global Initiatives Grant (with Terry Boles), International Programs, January 2011
- 2008-2009 Dean’s Teaching Award, Tippie College of Business, May 2009
- Received IREU Award to support Sara Weitze lUndergraduate Honors Student) , University of Iowa, April 2008
- Product Return Policies on the Internet, Carolyn Bonifield, Catherine A. Cole, Randall L. Schultz, Journal of Business Research, vol 63, 2010, 1058-1065
- Cross National Logo Evaluation analysis: An Individual level Approach , Ralf Van der Lans, Joseph A. Cote, Catherine A. Cole, Siew Meng. Leon, Ale Smidts, Pamela W. Henderson, Christian Bluemelhuber, Marketing Science, vol 28, 2009, 968-985
- Consumer Decision Making and Aging: Current Knowledge and Future Directions, Carolyn Yoon, Catherine A. Cole, Michelle Lee, Journal of Consumer Psychology, vol 19, 2009, 2-16
- Research Dialogue: An Integration of Perspectives on Aging and Consumer Decision Making, Catherine A. Cole, M Lee, Carolyn Yoon, Journal of Consumer Psychology, vol 19, 2009, 35-37
- Better Him Than Me: Social Comparison Theory and Service Recovery,, Carolyn Bonifield, Catherine A. Cole, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, vol 36, 2008, 565-577
- Decision Making and Brand Choice by Older Consumers, Catherine A. Cole, Gilles Laurent, Aimee Drolet, Jane Ebert, Angela Gutchess, Raphelle Lambert-Pandraud, Etienne Mullet, Michael Norton, Ellen Peters, Marketing Letters, vol 19, 2008, 355-365
- The orbitofrontal cortex, real-world decision-making, and normal aging, N. L. Denburg, Catherine A. Cole, M. Hernandez, T. H. Yamada, D. Tranel, A. Bechara, R. B. Wallace, Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol 1121, 2007, 480-498
- Affective Responses to Service Failure: Anger, Regret, and Retaliatory versus Conciliatory Responses, Carolyn Bonifield, Catherine A. Cole, Marketing Letters, vol 18, 2007, 85-99
- How Varying Levels of Knowledge and Motivation Affect Search and Confidence During Consideration and Choice, Mary E. Huneke, Catherine A. Cole, Irwin P. Levin, Marketing Letters, vol 15, 2004, 67-79
- Family Life Cycle, Catherine A. Cole, Dhananjay Nayakankuppam, Jayati Sinha, Consumer Behavior, Wiley International Encyclopedia of Marketing, vol 3, 2011, 152-162
- Comprehension of Marketing Communications Among Older Consumers, Catherine A. Cole, Carolyn Bonifield, The Aging Consumer: Perspectives from Psychology and Economics, eds Drolet, Schwarz and Yoon, 2010, 175-190
- Aging and Consumer Behavior, Catherine A. Cole, Carolyn. Yoon, The Handbook of Consumer Psychology, Curtis Haugvedt, Paul Herr, and Frank Kardes, eds. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 2008, 247-272
- Advertising to Vulnerable Segments, Carolyn Bonifield, Catherine A. Cole, Sage Handbook of Advertising, (Eds.) Gerry Tellis and Tim Ambler, London England:Sage Publications, vol 1, 2007, 430-445
- Consumer Behavior, Catherine A. Cole, Encyclopedia of Gerontology, 2nd edition, Ed. James E. Birren, Orlando Florida: Elsevier, vol 2, 2007, 307-315
Work In Progress
- The Effect of Age and Expertise on Product Evaluation, Jing (Alice) Wang, Catherine A. Cole
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Academy of Marketing Science (JAMS), April 2011 – current
- Assessing Consumer Reaction to New Product Ideas: Does it matter how old you are and what your regulatory focus is?, Society for Consumer Psychology Winter Conference, February 2010
- Susceptibility to the Influence of Misleading Advertising, The Aging Consumer: Perspectives from Psychology and Economics Conference, University of Michigan, May 2008
- Assessing Consumer Reactions to New Product Ideas: Does it matter where you live and how old you are?, Association for Consumer Research, New Orleans, October 2007
- Undergraduate Marketing Institute, 2009-current
- DEO Council, 2002-2008
- Seventh Triennial Invitational choice Symposium, 2007
- CIC DEO Training Workshop, Workshop, CIC Universities, 2007